Sunday, July 26, 2009

BLACK IN AMERICA 2.0: Worthwhile

I thoroughly enjoyed watching CNN’s Black in America 2.0 I must admit it is a far more realistic view of the Black experience and one can learn much from it. I did not like how the African American was portrayed in Black in America 1, but this was uplifting. I saw the struggles and the successes.

The headmaster who wakes up at 4:30 in the morning though he does not have too. Being honest, I found it useful, though obviously I seem not to be with the likes of Tolu Olorunda of the daily voice, but then people do not always understand. True there might be a lot of success stories in the black community, but the overwhelming majority are not moving ahead, children without fathers, prisons full of us, highest unemployment, highest depression, this is the reality.

At times Black Americans act exactly like Africans in the African continent, people complain that western media does not show the successes but only the tragedies, but those successes are so far, the nice suburbs in Lagos, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Harare, Cairo, are overwhelmed by the reality of the poverty of the majority.

What I expected if CNN was to be truly honest, was the racism in the work place that blacks must constantly face, blacks first to be laid off, blacks difficulty in promotion, I think that too would constitute Black in America, the obstacles they face from many(note many, not all), in the white community. It would have been nice to show black intellectuals being fought simply because they are black, police targeting of blacks, Gates comes to mind, I quote, “it was stupid to arrest Gates”. It would have been nice to hear about some white views on blacks, genuine views.

But it is an improvement, the struggles of Tyler Perry and his names sake, the headmaster, Steve Perry A hero by any standard, if you are rational, Steve Perry for what he has is up there with Martin Luther King, Mandela, Marcus Garvey, Du Bois, Joshua Nkomo, Nkrumah, I would never have known him if it was not for CNN, I have to thank them, and those who read my blog, I do not just thank whites easily.

Bhekuzulu Khumalo

No comments:

search

 

Blog Archive

Bhekuzulu Khumalo

I write about knowledge economics, information, liberty, and freedom